In this latest edition of her bestseller, renowned educator Kay Burke provides a wide range of updated, easy-to-implement alternative assessments that address today's accountability requirements and focus on improving learning. Designed for use across all content areas, these formative assessments are rooted in the language of state standards and emphasize differentiating instruction to meet students' individual learning needs. Revised throughout with updated research, this new edition helps K–12 teachers:
Build Response to Intervention checklists for struggling students:
(1) Develop unit plans using differentiated learning and assessment strategies.
(2) Create portfolios that emphasize metacognition.
(3) Design performance tasks that motivate and engage students.
(4) Construct rubrics that describe indicators of quality work.
(5) Create tests that focus on higher-order thinking skills.
Offering numerous applications and examples, How to Assess Authentic Learning guides teachers in developing the assessment tools needed to