TCV School Chauntra held an official function to kick off school-based Teacher Professional Development (TPD) programs for the 2015 school year. The school has close to 50 teachers and educators who will engage themselves in a variety of teacher-directed collaborative practices to foster their professional growth. The function was led by the school Principal Mr. Choeying Dhondup and the Headmaster Mr. Dawa Gyatso, and participated by all the teachers. Teachers shared their collaborative as well as individual professional growth plans and engaged themselves in dialogue to further explore topics chosen for this year.
The school's TPD programs include a number of teachers' book clubs and lesson study teams. Besides, every teacher is working on an annual professional growth plan (PGP). Teachers have selected following professional literature to read and discuss.
- Book Whisperer:
- Awakening the inner reader in every child by Don MIller
- Teach like your hairs on fire by Rafe Esquith
- Teaching gap by Stigler and Hiebert
- The child's language and the teacher by Krishna Kumar
- Play activities for child development by Mina Swaminathan andPrema Daniel
- Teaching Science by Tony Liversidge andMatt Cochrane
- Montessori math teaching
- Slob-gso'i rnam-gshag by Gcan-rong bstan-'dzin – On Education by Chenrong Tenzin (educationist inside Tibet)
There are two lesson study teams – Social Studies group and English language group – and they will work on a research lesson by following the lesson study cycle – 1) design, 2) enact, 3) reflection/re-design, 4) re-enact, and 5) reflection/summarization.
The school has created two extra periods per week for teachers to work in their collaborative group and pursue their plan. The school will conclude TPD programs in the month of October.